Critical Literacy Questions for Any Text
This downloadable quiz contains the following questions.
- Who wrote, created or produced this text?
- What assumptions does the author make about my beliefs, values and knowledge? What tells me this?
- What general view of the world does the text present? (Hopeful, pessimistic, cynical etc). Explain how you know.
- What voices, points of view, and perspectives are missing? How significant is their omission?
- What information does the author leave out? How significant is it?
- Who is most likely to benefit from this text?
- Why was this text produced?
- Is this text consistent with what I already know? Do I need to seek another source of information?
- Is the text fair? Why or why not?
(Adapted from “Adolescent Literacy Guide – A Professional Learning Resource for Literacy, grades 7-12, Ontario).
Click here to download the installable zip file of the quiz. (Click “File” then “Download As”)